Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Twins Caravan Photo Blog

Quick pictorial tour of today's Twins Caravan as they swung through town. Our hosts - Dakota Wesleyan University, namely the DWU Baseball Team with Head Coach Steve Gust. The event was held at the Sherman Center on campus. I had never been in the Sherman Center before, it was a nice place - good spot for the event. 


Who doesn't want free stuff? I had to grab one for Johnny Rocket...


But let's be serious, Cub's fans know there is only one series that matters this season.


Guess who is our emcee? The one, the only...Dan "The Dazzle Man" Gladden! It's interesting to think of words that were popular in a specific era (ie bitchin', gnarly, etc) that are used as a nickname. Could you imagine if we referred to Joe Mauer as Dazzle Man or incorporate the word Dazzle anywhere? Didn't think so, yet somehow Dan pulls it off. Bonus points here, I really got a kick out of him and his voice has that gravely-style which is perfect for radio baseball.


First current player up? Trevor Plouffe! He looked like a guy trying out for a series regular on the HBO series Deadwood. Came across as a funny guy and I appreciated how he spoke of finding anyway to see the field to contribute. While we're here - would it kill Twins fans to work in "Plouffe there it is...Plouffe there it is...Plouffe there it is" when he goes deep? I can't imagine it would be too 90's for their liking?


Next, we hear from Chris Parmalee. One of the bright spots down the stretch last year. Not much to add here, but I did find a sweet 'negative' setting on my phone to let me play with another style. I've included both for your enjoyment.


The last player to take the mic is pitcher, Anthony Swarzak. He's a bit of a journeyman on the club that spent seven season in the Twins minor league system, but still only 26. 'Swarzy' may have found a spot on this club with his work out of the bullpen last season. I think Twins fans can attest to his use as the club's long reliever, especially in the second half.


Gladden tells the crowd that there is three things the Twins have to do to compete this year - Throw, Catch and Hit! Yep, I guess that would about do it.  However, I would probably add that this year's team (like last years) will come down to the health of Mauer and Morneau and the teams ability to fill holes with some of the young players that saw action in 2011.


TC Bear says it's time to hit the road, but not before they hand out some prizes. Sadly I didn't win. Thanks Twins for the show and come again next year.




No comments:

Post a Comment