Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Three Things I’m Looking Forward to in March

#1 March Madness – If you’ve read or listened to about anything I’ve done on this blog, you’re likely aware of the fact that I have a sports problem. So, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that March Madness is something I’m looking forward to in March.

March works itself to be a basketball buffet for three straight weeks with NCAA Conference and National Tournaments. Locally, I love the atmosphere our South Dakota State Basketball Tournaments offer and look forward to Mitchell Telecom’s expanded coverage (All Three Classes for Both Girls & Boys!) every year. Since I feel like you should know these things, I’ll be paying special attention to the following…
-          Our Kernels, both squads have played lights out this year and enter post season play with a real chance of doing damage. Both teams have been thoroughly fun to watch all season and I’m hoping they can prolong the season as long as possible

-          My Fliers, the Flandreau Boys Basketball team has started to restore the roar (of the engine, that is) this season. I’m hoping Coach Bass and the boys and navigate a prickly district and loaded region en route to making the Class A field in Sioux Falls. (For those not interested in FHS Hoops, sorry for being a homer)

-          The Wolfpack, North Carolina State, baby! Coach Mark Gottfried’s squad has shown some renewed vigor in 2011/12, and I’m praying they can make it back to the big dance. Note, the most likely destination for dancing will be the NIT

-          My Bracket, I look forward to discussing this for hours and hours with people that could really care less. Sadly, it is one of the items I long for each year – sue me, I’m a guy.
#2 Geek Speak – this is set to be Mitchell Telecom’s first recurring theme for our corporate podcast. We’re set to record the first episode with our resident ‘geek’ Jon Mueller tomorrow (Thursday, March 1st), so look for a link to that later in the week.

Geek Speak is our attempt to bring some attention to the gadgets, apps, websites, etc that we like in hope of improving your broadband experience. Ideally, listeners will walk away with a handful of things to check out to see if it fits their needs. For Geek Speak #1, it looks like we are going website heavy – featuring sites like www.join.me and www.kickstarter.com.
#3 SPRING – On Leap Day when over an inch of rain and 4+ inches of snow fell in the past 24 hours, this seems fitting. Spring starts on Tuesday, March 20th and promises flowers, green grass, and means we’re a little more than a week away from baseball (GO CUBS).  I don’t care how nice this winter has been, ’m looking forward to spring. Growing up, I associated spring with the winding down of the school year, maybe that’s why I look forward to it each year – if I could only find a way to get summers off again.

While we’re here, not that it is necessarily tied to spring, but our clocks ‘spring forward’ on Sunday, March 11th – go ahead and mark your calendars.

No comments:

Post a Comment